Matters History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Matters family
The surname Matters was first found in Kincardineshire (Gaelic: A' Mhaoirne), a former county on the northeast coast of the Grampian region of Scotland, and part of the Aberdeenshire Council Area since 1996, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Matters family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matters research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1666, 1596, 1669, 1631, 1697, 1639, 1723, 1663, 1728 and are included under the topic Early Matters History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matters Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mather, Maider, Maddir, Mador, Madeer, Mathers and many more.
Early Notables of the Matters family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the Clan at this time was Sir Richard Maddir; Richard Mather (1596-1669), a Puritan clergyman in colonial Boston, Massachusetts; and his son, Nathaniel Mather (1631-1697), and English-born Independent minister from Much Woolton, Lancashire; Increase Mather (1639-1723), a Puritan minister who was involved with the government of the Massachusetts Bay...
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Matters Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Matters family to Ireland
Some of the Matters family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 68 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matters migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matters Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- T. M. Matters, who immigrated to the United States, in 1903
- Anna Matters, aged 49, who immigrated to the United States, in 1904
- Claude Matters, aged 24, who immigrated to America from Tandringham, Australia, in 1905
- Floss Matters, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from Tandringham, Australia, in 1905
- Olive Matters, aged 26, who landed in America from Tandringham, Australia, in 1905
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Matters migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Matters Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Matters, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "David Malcolm" in 1848 
- William Matters, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "David Malcolm" in 1848 
- Thomas Matters, aged 33, a mason, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sea Park" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Matters (post 1700)
- Arnold Matters (1904-1990), Australian operatic baritone
- Leonard Warburton Matters (1881-1951), Australian journalist and politician
- Muriel Lilah Matters (1877-1969), Australian suffragist, lecturer, journalist, educator and actress
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) DAVID MALCOLM - EMIGRANT SHIP - 1848. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1848DavidMalcolm.htm
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 3 February 1852. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) SEA PARK 1852. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/seapark1852.shtml.