Matley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Matley family
The surname Matley was first found in Greater Manchester at Matley, a township, in the parish of Mottramin-Longdendale, union of Ashton, hundred
of Macclesfield, formerly in the county of Chester. Some of the first records of the name include William de Mattelegh, Hugh de Mattelegh and Richard de Mattlegh who were all listed in Cheshire
in 1316, 1316 and 1300. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
In 1325 William held the estates in the parish of Mottram.
Early History of the Matley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matley research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Matley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matley Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Matley, Matlee, Matlie, Matleigh, Matlea, Madley, Maddely, Maddelly and many more.
Early Notables of the Matley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Matley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Matley family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Matley was granted land in Virginia in 1652
Matley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Between 1846 and 1862 Abraham, James, and James J. Matley were all naturalized in Philadelphia
- William Matley was naturalized in Indiana in 1848
- Mary Matley was a pioneer in Utah in 1854
Contemporary Notables of the name Matley (post 1700)
- Timothy Thomas "Timmy" Matley (1982-2018), Irish singer from Cork, Ireland, known for his work with The Overtones; he died at the age of 36 from skin cancer
- Charles Alfred Matley (1866-1947), British paleontologist and geologist, awarded the Murchison Medal in 1929 by the Geological Society of London
Matley Family Crest Products
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)