The Irish Malarkey surname comes from the Gaelic "ó Maoilearca," a patronymic
meaning a descendant of Maoilearca, a follower of St. Earc.
Early Origins of the Malarkey family
The surname Malarkey was first found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal
, located in Northwestn Ireland
in the province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
as a branch of the O'Connell's. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland
and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest
from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Connacht.
Early History of the Malarkey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Malarkey research.Another 217 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1651 is included under the topic Early Malarkey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Malarkey Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mullarkey, Mullarky, Mallarky, Malarchy, Malarkey, Mularkey and many more.
Early Notables of the Malarkey family (pre 1700)
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Malarkey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Malarkey family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Malarkey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Malarkey, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Mary Malarkey, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1893
Malarkey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mamie Malarkey, aged 22, who settled in America from Donegal, in 1900
- Kate Malarkey, aged 30, who landed in America from Rostea, Ireland, in 1908
- Charles J. B. Malarkey, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1910
Malarkey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Malarkey, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Malarkey (post 1700)
- Donald Malarkey (1921-2017), American soldier who fought in World War II, portrayed in the Band of Brothers television miniseries
- John S. Malarkey (1872-1949), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1894 to 1903
- Michael Malarkey (b. 1983), American actor and singer, best known for his role as Enzo in the series The Vampire Diaries
- William John "Bill" Malarkey (1878-1956), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the New York Giants in 1908
- Gary Malarkey (b. 1953), former Australian rules footballer