Origins Available: English
Early Origins of the Magness family
The surname Magness was first found in Shetland
where they held a family seat
in their territories in the Orkneys. The Viking influence of northern Scotland
developed as a stepping stone to Iceland from Scandinavia. Many Viking expeditions were started from the Orkneys and the northern tip. Rollo, first Duke of Normandy
, started his conquest of that part of France as an expeditionary from here. Hugo Magnus was found at 1114. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
Later the name was found in Cortance, Aberdeen in the 17th century.
Early History of the Magness family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Magness research.Another 273 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1047, 1510, 1600 and 1420 are included under the topic Early Magness History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Magness Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Magnus, Manus, MacVanish, Magnusson, Magnuson, Magnos, Magnes, Magnusson, Magnuss, MacVinish, McWeynish and many more.
Early Notables of the Magness family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Magness Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Magness family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Magness Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J.Q. Magness, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Johanna Magness, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1894
- Emily Magness, aged 35, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Magness Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Wm. H. Magness, aged 43, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Hersch Magness, aged 11, who landed in America from Lodz, Russia, in 1911
- Margaret Magness, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1915
- Thomas M. Magness, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States, in 1915
- William Magness, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Magness (post 1700)
- Arthur Gray Magness (1920-1980), American real estate developer, responsible for the neighborhoods of Graylyn Crest and the Cedar Tree apartments of Claymonin, New Castle County, Delaware
- Gary Magness, American businessman and Oscar and BAFTA nominated film producer
- Diana Magness (b. 1981), British actress, best known for her role as Evelyn Wright in 40 episodes of BBC children's drama series Grange Hill (1997 to 2001)