Maggard History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
As a surname, Maggard is derived from the Scandinavian personal name Magnus. The name was born by King of Norway Magnus the Good, who died in 1047. It made its way to Britain through the Danish invasions of Northeastern Britain.
Early Origins of the Maggard family
The surname Maggard was first found in Shetland, where they held a family seat in their territories in the Orkneys. The Viking influence of northern Scotland developed as a stepping stone to Iceland from Scandinavia. Many Viking expeditions were started from the Orkneys and the northern tip. Rollo, first Duke of Normandy, started his conquest of that part of France as an expeditionary from here. Hugo Magnus was found at 1114. Later the name was found in Cortance, Aberdeen in the 17th century.
Early History of the Maggard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maggard research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1047, 1510, 1600 and 1420 are included under the topic Early Maggard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maggard Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magnus, Manus, MacVanish, Magnusson, Magnuson, Magnos, Magnes, Magnusson, Magnuss, MacVinish, McWeynish, MacVinis and many more.
Early Notables of the Maggard family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Maggard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Maggard is the 4,645th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Maggard migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maggard Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Leslie B. Maggard, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1909
- Delano Maggard, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Leslie Bennett Maggard, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1911
- Henry Maggard, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1915
Contemporary Notables of the name Maggard (post 1700) +
- John "Slo" Maggard, American musician and the bassist
- Joe Maggard (b. 1955), American writer, director and producer and an actor, best known for his role as Ronald McDonald in McDonalds advertisements
- Dave Maggard (b. 1940), American former Olympian and athletic director at the University of California, Berkeley
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Maggard +
- Maggard Family Genealogy by Kenneth Maggard.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm