The original Gaelic versions of today's Irish names demonstrate a proud, ancient past. The original Gaelic form of the name MacMurrough is Mac Murchadha.
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacMurrough research.Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early MacMurrough History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations
of the surname MacMurrough were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. McMorough, McMorogh, McMorrough, McMurrer and others.
The 19th century saw a great wave of Irish families
for the distant shores of North America and Australia
. These families often left their homeland hungry, penniless, and destitute do to the policies of England
. Those Irish immigrants that survived the long sea passage initially settled on the eastern seaboard of the continent. Some, however, moved north to a then infant Canada as United Empire Loyalists after ironically serving with the English in the American War of Independence
. Others that remained in America later joined the westward migration in search of land. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, though, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America, and those who arrived were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. In fact, the foundations of today's powerful nations of the United Sates and Canada were to a larger degree built by the Irish. Archival documents indicate that members of the MacMurrough family relocated to North American shores quite early: James McMorrow, Henry McMorrow and John McMorrow, who were all on record arriving in New York in 1804; as well as Denis McMorrow, who came to St. John, New Brunswick in 1842..