MacMahan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In its ancient Gaelic form, the Irish name MacMahan was written Mac Mathghamhna, which later became Mac Mathuna. Both names are derived from the word mathghamhan, which means bear.
Early Origins of the MacMahan family
The surname MacMahan was first found in County Clare (Irish: An Clár) located on the west coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Important Dates for the MacMahan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacMahan research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1119, 1600, 1650, 1680, 1715, 1737, 1747, and 1780 are included under the topic Early MacMahan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacMahan Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacMahon, MacMann, MacMahan, MacMohan, Mc Mahon and others.
Early Notables of the MacMahan family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early MacMahan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacMahan migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
MacMahan Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacques MacMahan with his wife and two daughters settled in Louisiana in 1797
- Jacques MacMahan, aged 25, who landed in Louisiana in 1797 
MacMahan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Sarah MacMahan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811 
- Bernard, Francis, James, John, Michael, and Patrick MacMahan, who all, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1860
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)