MacCready History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Today's generation of the MacCready family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts. The first family to use the name MacCready lived in Ayrshire.
Early Origins of the MacCready family
The surname MacCready was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the MacCready family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacCready research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1720 is included under the topic Early MacCready History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacCready Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. MacCready has appeared MacCreadie, MacCredie, MacCready, MacReady, MacRedie and many more.
Early Notables of the MacCready family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early MacCready Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the MacCready family to Ireland
Some of the MacCready family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 70 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacCready migration to the United States
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name MacCready:
MacCready Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elinor MacCready, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811 
Contemporary Notables of the name MacCready (post 1700)
- Paul B. MacCready Jr. (1925-2007), American aeronautical engineer, founder of AeroVironment and designer of a human-powered aircraft that won the first Kremer prize in 1977, known as the father of human-powered flight
- Derek MacCready (b. 1967), Canadian Football League defensive tackle who played from 1989 to 1999
- Charles MacCready, 19th century Rector of the Church of the Holy Cross, New York
- Alan MacCready, New Zealand Politician
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)