Lyden History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Lyden family
The surname Lyden was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Early History of the Lyden family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lyden research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1335, 1517, 1526, 1546, 1679, and 1811 are included under the topic Early Lyden History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lyden Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leydon, Leidden, Leyden, Leidon, Lethen, Lethane and others.
Early Notables of the Lyden family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lyden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lyden family to Ireland
Some of the Lyden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lyden migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lyden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Lyden, who arrived in Pike County, Ind in 1886 
Lyden migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Lyden Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- M. Lyden, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1880
Contemporary Notables of the name Lyden (post 1700) +
- Mitchell Scott Lyden (b. 1964), American former Major League Baseball player who played for the Florida Marlins in 1993
- Jacki Lyden (b. 1953), American news reporter, former correspondent and host for NPR from 1979 to 2014
- Robert Lyden (1942-1986), American child actor in the 1950s from Los Angeles, California, best known for his role as the young space cadet "Bobby" on the science fiction television show Rocky Jones, Space Ranger (1954)
- Pierce Lyden (1908-1998), American movie actor from Hildreth, Nebraska, best known for his work in television and film Westerns
- Michael J. Lyden, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1940 
- Matthew O. Lyden, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from St. Clair District, 1962 
- Mac Dara Francis X. Lyden, American politician, Representative from New Jersey 6th District, 2002 
- Ross Lyden, Scottish footballer from Glasgow, Scotland
- Jordan David Lyden (b. 1996), Australian professional footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html