Lockridge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
This Lockridge surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Luachra," derived from the word "luachair," which means "rushes" or "sedges."
Early Origins of the Lockridge family
The surname Lockridge was first found in Armagh (Irish: Ard Mhacha) located in the province of Ulster in present day Northern Ireland, where they held a family seat as ecclesiastics in west Armagh and Antrim. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Tyrone about 1430.
Early History of the Lockridge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lockridge research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1576, 1612, and 1652 are included under the topic Early Lockridge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lockridge Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Loughran, Lochrane, Lochraine, Lutheran, Lochran, Laugheran, Loughrey, O'Loughran, O'Lochrane, O'Lochran, O'Loughraine and many more.
Early Notables of the Lockridge family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lockridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lockridge migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lockridge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Lockridge, who arrived in Virginia in 1807 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lockridge (post 1700) +
- William O’Neal Lockridge (b. 1947), American political activist from Columbia, Tennessee
- Shadrach Meshach Lockridge (1913-2000), American pastor from Robertson County, Texas, active in the civil rights movement, his church hosted Martin Luther King Jr
- Ross Franklin Lockridge Jr. (1914-1948), American novelist, best known for his novel Raintree County (1948)
- Rocky Lockridge (b. 1959), American former WBA super featherweight champion
- Richard Orson Lockridge (1898-1982), American writer of detective fiction
- Hildegarde Dolson Lockridge (1908-1981), born Hildegarde Dolson, American writer, wife of Richard Orson Lockridge
- William Lockridge (1932-2013), American horse breeder, co-founder of Ashford Stud
- Will G. Lockridge, American politician, Member of Missouri State Senate 14th District, 1935-38 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html