Linsy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Linsy family originally lived in the parish of Lindsay in the northern English county of Northumberland. Ealdric de Lindsay held estates in both Normandy and in Lincolnshire, England. He was a tenant of English estates for the Earl of Chester.
Early Origins of the Linsy family
The surname Linsy was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow where they were descended from Randolph Lord of Toeni who was banished by Duke William from Normandy in 1058 along with many other knights.
He settled on the borders of Lincolnshire and Leicestershire and erected a barony known as Linesi including Belvoir Castle. When the Duke of Normandy invaded England he was again forced to move and settled on the lands of Crawford in Lanarkshire Scotland.
"The first of the name in Scotland is Sir Walter de Lindeseya, who appears as one of the witnesses in the Inquisitio of Earl David concerning the possessions and rights of the see of Glasgow in 1124. His great-grandson, Sir William de Lindeseia, was one of the hostages for King William the Lion, 1174," 
"Lord Lindsay tells us the names Lindesay and Limesay are identical, both of them implying 'Isle of Lime-trees,' and are frequently interchanged, and applied to the same individuals in ancient public records and in the early transcripts of the Battle Abbey Roll." 
John Lindsay (d. 1335) was "Bishop of Glasgow, belonged to the family of the Lindsays of Lambertoun in Berwickshire, and was descended from Sir Walter de Lindsay (d. 1222), second son of William Lindsay of Crawford, judiciary of Scotland under William the Lion. He was the son of Walter Lindsay of Lambertoun, and his name first appears as witness to one of the charters, dated about 1275, and preserved in the chartulary of Paisley." 
Early History of the Linsy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Linsy research. Another 275 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1120, 1340, 1513, 1483, 1513, 1618, 1659, 1652, 1722, 1552, 1598, 1597, 1598, 1679, 1737, 1788, 1713, 1652, 1722, 1700, 1760, 1608, 1664, 1677, 1714, 1724, 1714 and 1292 are included under the topic Early Linsy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Linsy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lindsay, Lyndsay, Lyndsey, Lindesey, Lindsey and many more.
Early Notables of the Linsy family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was John Lindsay, 6th Earl of Crawford (before 1483-1513), an Earl of Crawford; Alexander Lindsay, 2nd Lord Balcarres and 1st Earl of Balcarres (1618-1659), a Scottish nobleman; Colin Lindsay, 3rd Earl of Balcarres (1652-1722), a Scottish aristocrat and politician; John Lindsay of Balcarres (1552-1598), Lord Menmuir, Chancellor of the University of St Andrews, 1597-1598; William Lindsay of Dovehill (died 1679), a Scottish Presbyterian minister serving in Perth, Scotland; Sir John Lindsay (1737-1788), a British naval officer; John Lindsay, 19th Earl of Crawford and...
Migration of the Linsy family to Ireland
Some of the Linsy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Endure fort
Motto Translation: Endure with strength.