on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French, German
Where did the French Lesser family come from? What is the French Lesser family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lesser family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lesser family history?The prestigious surname Lesser comes from the region of Provence, in France. The surname Lesser is of local origin, and is therefore a type of hereditary surname. Local surnames are derived either from an already existing place-name or from a local feature of the geography.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lessard, Lessart, Lessar, Lessarde, Lesart, Lesard, Lesser, Lesseir, Leser, Lezer, Lesarde, Lesar, Lezard, Lezzard, Lezart, Lezar, Lezarde, Lisart, Lizart, Sarde, Sardo and many more.
First found in Provence, where this distinguished family held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lesser research. Another 395 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1406, 1552, 1554, 1574, 1614, 1620, 1622, 1645, 1665, 1728, and 1731 are included under the topic Early Lesser History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 133 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lesser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lesser Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Kristoffel Lesser, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hans Michell Lesser, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Nicholas Lesser, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Hans Michall Lesser who settled in Philadelphia in 1739
- Benedict Lesser, who came to Philadelphia in 1739
Lesser Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Matheas Lesser, aged 43, arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1845
- Christian Lesser who settled in Texas in 1846
- Christian Lesser came to Texas in 1846
- Alexander Lesser, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850
- Bertha Lesser, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850
Lesser Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Lotte Lesser, who arrived in Quebec in 1893
Lesser Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- C. Lesser arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Triumph" in 1883
- Leonard King "Len" Lesser (1922-2011), American actor known for a key role in the Clint Eastwood movie Kelly's Heroes and his recurring role as Uncle Leo on Seinfeld
- Robert J. Lesser, American politician, Representative from Pennsylvania 13th District, 1940
- Julius Lesser, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arkansas, 1892
- George Lesser (b. 1932), American rock and roll musician
- Sol Lesser (1890-1980), American movie director
- Mike Lesser (1943-2015), English mathematical philosopher and political activist
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
The Lesser Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lesser Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 11:06.
on orders of $85 or more