While many Irish names are familiar, their past incarnations are often shrouded in mystery, reflecting the ancient Gaelic heritage of their bearers. The original Gaelic form of the name Leerys is O Laoghaire, which was originally derived from Laoghaire, one of the most well-known personal names in ancient Ireland.
Early Origins of the Leerys family
The surname Leerys was first found in County Cork
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Leerys family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leerys research.Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Leerys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leerys Spelling Variations
Within archives, many different spelling variations
exist for the surname Leerys. Ancient scribes and church officials recorded names as they were pronounced, often resulting in the name of the single person being recorded under several different spellings. Different spellings that were found include Leary, O'Leary, O'Leery and others.
Early Notables of the Leerys family (pre 1700)
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leerys Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leerys family to the New World and Oceana
North America accepted thousands of Irish immigrants during the 19th century as their homeland suffered under foreign imperialistic rule. Although settlers from the early portion of the century came to North America by choice in search of land, by far the largest influx of Irish immigrants came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Many of these Irish families
left the country destitute and in some cases suffering from disease. However, those who survived the long ocean voyage were especially vital to the development of industry in the United States and what would become known as Canada. Research of immigration and passenger lists has shown many early immigrants bearing the name Leerys: Daniel, Denis, George, Jeremiah, John, Michael, Patrick, Thomas and William Leary, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; other Learys arrived in the ports of Boston, New York, San Francisco, Quebec..
The Leerys Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Laidir isé lear Righ
Motto Translation: Strong is the King of the sea.