Lanton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Lanton has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.
Early Origins of the Lanton family
The surname Lanton was first found in Cornwall where "the manor of Grimscott, [in the parish of Launcells] which is now divided into small tenements, was formerly the property of the Langdons." 
Early History of the Lanton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lanton research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1275 are included under the topic Early Lanton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lanton Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Lanton have been found, including Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
Early Notables of the Lanton family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lanton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lanton migration to the United States +
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Lanton, or a variant listed above:
Lanton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Lanton, who arrived in Virginia in 1663 
Lanton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R Lanton, aged 26, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lanton (post 1700) +
- Lanton StanBerry, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1916 
Related Stories +
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html