Langsdown History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestors of the name Langsdown date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.  
East Langdon and West Landgon in Kent are the oldest parishes bearing this name. They collectively date back to Saxon times when they were known as Langandune in 861; the parish of Langdon Hills is Essex, named Langenduna in the Domesday Book of 1086 follows.  By 1291, East and West Landgon were known as Estlangedoun and Westlangedone. 
Early Origins of the Langsdown family
The surname Langsdown was first found in Worcestershire where Aelfward aet Langadune was registered as an Old English Byname c. 1050. Later, Chetelburn de Lonedun was found in Warwickshire and Maurice de Landedun was listed in the Feet of Fines for Kent in 1201. In Staffordshire, Reginald de Langedon was registered there in the Assize Rolls of 1221 as was Alan de Longedon in Salop (Shropshire.) 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 included entries for: Bartholomew de Langedon, Essex; Cecil de Langedon, Kent; and William de Langedone, Essex. 
In Somerset, John de Langedone was registered there 1 Edward III (during the first year of the reign of King Edward III.) 
Some of the family were found in Cornwall where "the manor of Grimscott, [in the parish of Launcells] which is now divided into small tenements, was formerly the property of the Langdons." 
Early History of the Langsdown family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Langsdown research. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1587, 1791, 1434, 1398, 1400, 1478, 1741, 1819, 1660, 1739 and 1805 are included under the topic Early Langsdown History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Langsdown Spelling Variations
Langsdown has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Langsdown have been found, including Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
Early Notables of the Langsdown family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Langdon (d. 1434), Bishop of Rochester, a native of Kent, and perhaps of Langdon, who was admitted a monk of Christ Church, Canterbury, in 1398. Afterwards he studied at Oxford, and graduated B.D. in 1400; according to his epitaph he was D.D. He is said to have belonged to Gloucester Hall, now Worcester College. According to another account he was warden of Canterbury College, which was connected with his monastery; but this may be an error...
Migration of the Langsdown family
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Langsdowns to arrive on North American shores: Thomas Landon who settled in Maryland in 1775; John Langdon settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1765; Kathleen Langdon settled in Virginia in 1705; Margaret and Thomas Langdon settled in Boston in 1820.