langdown History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The lineage of the name langdown begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.
Early Origins of the langdown family
The surname langdown was first found in Cornwall where "the manor of Grimscott, [in the parish of Launcells] which is now divided into small tenements, was formerly the property of the Langdons." 
Important Dates for the langdown family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our langdown research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1275 are included under the topic Early langdown History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
langdown Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name langdown has undergone many spelling variations, including Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
Early Notables of the langdown family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early langdown Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
langdown migration to Canada
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name langdown were among those contributors:
langdown Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Langdown, who settled in Nipper's Harbour in 1842
- Charles Langdown, who settled in Jackson's Arm, Newfoundland in 1858 
Contemporary Notables of the name langdown (post 1700)
- Peggy Langdown, English political candidate for Ticehurst and Etchingham in the 2011 Rother District Council election
- Tony Langdown, English political candidate for Oldfield in the 2007 Windsor and Maidenhead Borough Council election
- Maxwell Langdown, English poet from Dorset, known for co-writing the Country music hit "Always One Redneck Away From Loving You"
- Stephen Langdown (b. 1992), Singapore Marital Arts competitor
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0