on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English langdon family come from? What is the English langdon family crest and coat of arms? When did the langdon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the langdon family history?The ancient history of the langdon name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name langdon include Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our langdon research. Another 283 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1275 is included under the topic Early langdon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early langdon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name langdon or a variant listed above:
langdon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Benjamin Langdon, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1678
- Tobias Langdon, who landed in Portsmouth, NH in 1686
langdon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Kathleen Langdon settled in Virginia in 1705
- Thomas Langdon, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1719
- John Langdon settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1765
- John Langdon, who arrived in New York in 1797
langdon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret and Thomas Langdon settled in Boston in 1820
- Martin Langdon, who landed in New York in 1822
- James Langdon was a planter in Seal Cove in 1871
- George Langdon, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1876
langdon Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Langdon, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- David Langdon settled in Merritt's Harbour in 1858
- William Langdon was a planter at Grole, Newfoundland in 1871
langdon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Langdon, aged 24, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
- William Hoskin Langdon, aged 29, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nile"
- Ann Jane Langdon, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
langdon Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Langdon landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841 aboard the ship Lady Leigh
- Thomas Langdon arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Albemarle" in 1862
- Charles F. Langdon, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Emma S. Langdon, aged 24, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Elizabeth Langdon, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Steve J. Langdon (b. 1948), American anthropologist
- Sue Ane Langdon (b. 1936), award-winning retired American actress
- Harry Philmore Langdon (1884-1944), American comedian
- Trajan Shaka Langdon (b. 1976), American professional basketball player
- John Langdon (1741-1819), American politician from New Hampshire, and one of the first two United States senators from that state, Governor of New Hampshire
- Michael Langdon (1920-1991), British bass opera singer
- Jeffrey Langdon (b. 1975), Canadian figure skater
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The langdon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The langdon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 March 2015 at 16:59.
on orders of $85 or more