100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English landon family come from? What is the English landon family crest and coat of arms? When did the landon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the landon family history?The Anglo-Saxon name landon comes from when the family resided in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname landon include Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our landon research. Another 283 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1275 is included under the topic Early landon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early landon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
landon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- David Landon, who landed in Virginia in 1663
landon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Betty Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Mary Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Roger Landon, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Selenger Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
landon Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Landon, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- Alfred Mossman "Alf" Landon (1887-1987), American Republican politician
- Michael Landon (1936-1991), American actor, producer and director best known for his role as Little Joe Cartwright in Bonanza
- Jennifer Rachel Landon (b. 1983), two-time Emmy-winning American actress
- Christopher Beau Landon (b. 1975), American screenwriter
- General Truman Hempel Landon (1905-1986), American Commander of the 4th Allied Tactical Air Force (1961-1963)
- Larry Landon (b. 1958), retired Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player
- Charles Paul Landon (1760-1826), French painter
- Brigadier Arthur Henry Whittington Landon (1889-1968), Chief Administration Officer Pacific Command (1943-1945)
- Landon Family History by Joy Deal Lehmann.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The landon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The landon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 January 2013 at 14:24.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!