100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Anglo-Saxon name landon comes from when the family resided in the villages of Langdon or Longdon which had several locations around England. This place-name literally refers to an area that was known for a long hill.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname landon include Langdon, Landon, Langdown, Langsdown and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our landon research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1275 is included under the topic Early landon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early landon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
landon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- David Landon, who landed in Virginia in 1663
landon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Betty Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Mary Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Roger Landon, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Selenger Landon, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
landon Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Asa Landon U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Mr. Heman Landon Sr., U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
landon Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Landon, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- General Truman Hempel Landon (1905-1986), American Commander of the 4th Allied Tactical Air Force (1961-1963)
- Michael Landon (1936-1991), American actor, producer and director best known for his role as Little Joe Cartwright in Bonanza
- Alfred Mossman "Alf" Landon (1887-1987), American Republican politician
- Christopher Beau Landon (b. 1975), American screenwriter
- Jennifer Rachel Landon (b. 1983), two-time Emmy-winning American actress
- Brigadier Arthur Henry Whittington Landon (1889-1968), Chief Administration Officer Pacific Command (1943-1945)
- Charles Paul Landon (1760-1826), French painter
- Larry Landon (b. 1958), retired Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player
- Landon Family History by Joy Deal Lehmann.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The landon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The landon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2016 at 11:47.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!