lampman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the bearers of the lampman family name are thought have lived in ancient Anglo-Saxon England. They were first found in a region of Lampet in Normandy. The surname lampman was adopted in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. lampman is a habitation name from the broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties.
Early Origins of the lampman family
The surname lampman was first found in Suffolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the lampman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lampman research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1332, 1356, 1384, 1444, 1621 and 1662 are included under the topic Early lampman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lampman Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name lampman include Lampet, Lampett, Lampit, Lampitt, Lampart, Lampert and many more.
Early Notables of the lampman family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lampman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name lampman is the 14,015th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
lampman migration to Canada +
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name lampman or a variant listed above:
lampman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Abraham Lampman U.E. who settled in Saint-Armand, Brome-Missisquoi County, [Eastern Townships], Quebec c. 1784 
- Mr. Frederick Lampman U.E. from New York, USA who settled in Home District [York County], Ontario c. 1786 arrived with wife and four children 
- Mr. Peter Lampman Sr., U.E. (b. 1759) born in New York, USA who settled in Home District [York County], Ontario c. 1786 married to Elizabetha Haines having 5 children, he died in 1820 
Contemporary Notables of the name lampman (post 1700) +
- Bryce James Lampman (b. 1982), American professional ice hockey player
- Michael David Lampman (b. 1950), retired Canadian NHL ice hockey player
- Archibald Lampman FRSC (1861-1899), Canadian poet, generally considered the finest of Canada's English late 19th-century poets
- Ronald Lampman Watts CC FRSC (1929-2015), Canadian academic, 15th Principal and Vice-chancellor of Queen's University from 1974 until 1984
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X