Kram History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Irish surnames in use today are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Kram originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac Threinfir," from the words "trean," which means "strong," and "fear" which means "man." This name is often rendered MacTraynor or MacTreanor in English, but the Anglicizations Mac Crainor and MacCreanor are actually more phonetically accurate.
Early Origins of the Kram family
The surname Kram was first found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from early times.
Important Dates for the Kram family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kram research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1670 and 1800 are included under the topic Early Kram History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kram Spelling Variations
The search for the origins of the name Kram family name revealed numerous spelling variations. These variants can be somewhat accounted for when it is realized that before widespread literacy people only recognized their name by pronunciation; it was up to scribes to decide how it was to be formally recorded. Variations found include Cramer, Creamer, McCramer, McCreamer and others.
Early Notables of the Kram family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kram Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kram migration to the United States
The 18th century saw the slow yet steady emigration of Irish families to British North America and the United States. Those early Irish settlers that left their homeland were typically moderately well off: they were enticed by the promise of a sizable plot of land. However, by the 1840s, this pattern of immigration was gone: immigrants to North America were seeking refuge from the starvation and disease that the Great Potato Famine of that decade brought. The great numbers of Irish that arrived to the United States and the soon to be Canada were instrumental in their quick development as powerful industrial nations. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists uncovered many early immigrants bearing the name Kram:
Kram Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrich Kram, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1731 
- Cornelius Kram, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Conrad Kram, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Johann Kram, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1772 
Kram Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Kram, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kram (post 1700)
- Shirley Wohl Kram (1922-2009), United States federal judge
- Manopsak Kram (b. 1988), Malaysian footballer
- Samransak Kram (b. 1983), Malaysian footballer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)