Kittridge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The English family name Kittridge comes from the Middle English personal name "Keterych."
Early Origins of the Kittridge family
The surname Kittridge was first found in Essex, where the first on record were Adam and Roger Keterych, both listed in the Feet of Fines for Essex.
Early History of the Kittridge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kittridge research. More information is included under the topic Early Kittridge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kittridge Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Kittridge are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. Scribes and monks in the Middle Ages spelled names they sounded, so it is common to find several variations that refer to a single person. The variations of the name Kittridge include: Kittredge, Kittridge, Kitteridge, Kettredge, Ketteridge and many more.
Early Notables of the Kittridge family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kittridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kittridge family to Ireland
Some of the Kittridge family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kittridge migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Kittridge or a variant listed above:
Kittridge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dr. Kittridge, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kittridge (post 1700) +
- Malachi Jeddidiah Kittridge (1869-1928), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 1890 to 1906 and managed the Washington Senators in 1904
- F. M. Kittridge, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 4th District, 1853-54 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html