Kinnaman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Kinnaman surname comes from a proud and ancient past. The name Kinnaman appeared originally in Gaelic as O Connachtain.
Early Origins of the Kinnaman family
The surname Kinnaman was first found in County Sligo (Irish: Sligeach), in the province of Connacht in Northwestern Ireland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Important Dates for the Kinnaman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kinnaman research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kinnaman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kinnaman Spelling Variations
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name Kinnaman revealed many variations, including Cunigan, Conigan, Cunnigan, Conaghan, Conaughan, O'Cunigan, O'Conaghan, Connaghan, Connaughan, Kinneghan, Kinnegan and many more.
Early Notables of the Kinnaman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kinnaman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kinnaman migration to the United States
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Kinnaman:
Kinnaman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J W Kinnaman, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Kinnaman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Luella Kinnaman, aged 55, who arrived at Washington, New Jersey, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Kinnaman (post 1700)
- Melanie Kinnaman (b. 1953), American dancer and film and stage actress
- Matthew W. Kinnaman, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 1st District, 2002 
- Elmer D. Kinnaman, American Democrat politician, Member of Wyoming State House of Representatives from Carbon County, 1950; Member of Wyoming State Senate from Carbon County, 1965 
- Melinda Rosalie Kinnaman (b. 1971), Swedish actress
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html