Kinlock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Today's generation of the Kinlock family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts. The first family to use the name Kinlock lived in the barony of Kinloch, which is located at the head of Rossie Loch in the parish of Collessie in Fife. The surname Kinlock belongs to the category of habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Kinlock family
The surname Kinlock was first found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Kinlock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kinlock research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1102, 1296, 1st , 1685, 1st , 1700, 1680, 1744, 1766, 1st , 1691, 1699, 1676 and 1747 are included under the topic Early Kinlock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kinlock Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Kinlock has appeared Kinlock, Kinloch, Kinlocke, Kinglake and others.
Early Notables of the Kinlock family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the Clan at this time was Sir David Kinloch, 1st Baronet of Kinloch (c. 1700); Sir James Kinloch, 2nd Baronet of Kinloch (c. 1680-1744); Sir James Kinloch, 3rd Baronet...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kinlock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kinlock family to Ireland
Some of the Kinlock family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kinlock migration to the United States
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Kinlock:
Kinlock Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Kinlock, who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1766
Kinlock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Stewart Kinlock, aged 25, who arrived in New York in 1812 
- Francis Kinlock, who settled in New York, NY in 1823
- Henry Kinlock, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1883 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kinlock (post 1700)
- William G. Kinlock, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from New Britain; Elected 1894 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html