Today's generation of the Kilty family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts
. The first family to use the name Kilty lived in the lands of Keltie, which were found near Callander in the county of Perth.
Early Origins of the Kilty family
The surname Kilty was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from very early times on the old lands of Keltie, near Callander.
Early History of the Kilty family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kilty research.Another 150 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1616, 1628, and 1647 are included under the topic Early Kilty History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kilty Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations
with single names. Kilty has appeared Keltie, Kelty, Keltey and others.
Early Notables of the Kilty family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kilty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kilty family to the New World and Oceana
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland
, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan
societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Kilty:
Kilty Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Kilty, who landed in America in 1795 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kilty (post 1700)
- William Kilty (1757-1821), American jurist, Chief Judge of the United States Circuit Court of the District of Columbia (1801-1806)
- Jerome Timothy Kilty (b. 1922), American actor and playwright, best known for his Dear Liar: A Comedy of Letters, a play based on the correspondence of playwright George Bernard Shaw and actress Mrs. Patrick Campbell
- Lawrence F. Kilty, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1912 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Rear Admira Augustus Kilty (1807-1879), United States Navy officer who served during the Civil War from Annapolis, Maryland, eponym of the USS Kilty (DD–137). a Wickes-class destroyer in the United States Navy
- Richard Kilty (b. 1989), British four-time gold and two-time silver medalist sprinter
- Mark Kilty (b. 1981), former English professional football defender who played 23 league games for Darlington (1998-2003)