Kibbe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain were the first to use the name of Kibbe. The name had a practical origin since it came from when its initial bearer worked as a person who made or sold cudgels, which were short, stout sticks used as weapons. The surname Kibbe was also applied as a nickname to a person who was considered as stout and heavy.
Early Origins of the Kibbe family
The surname Kibbe was first found in Middlesex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Kibbe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kibbe research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1120, 1510, 1683, 1649, 1654, 1632, 1710, 1792 and 1866 are included under the topic Early Kibbe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kibbe Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Kibbe include Keeble, Keble, Kebbell, Kebell, Kebill, Kebyll, Kibbel, Kibble, Kibel, Keebler and many more.
Early Notables of the Kibbe family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: Sir Henry Keble, at the time of King Henry VIII; Richard Keble (died 1683), an English lawyer and judge, Commissioner of the...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kibbe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kibbe migration to the United States
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Kibbe or a variant listed above:
Kibbe Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Conr W Kibbe, who arrived in America in 1845 
- Mrs. S. Kibbe, aged 75, who immigrated to America, in 1893
Kibbe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sarah Kibbe, aged 10, who landed in America from Glasgow, in 1901
- Franz Kibbe, aged 9, who settled in America, in 1906
- Charles Frederick Kibbe, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1906
- Augustine Kibbe, aged 44, who settled in America, in 1909
- Josephine Kibbe, aged 52, who settled in America, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Kibbe migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kibbe Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Helen Kibbe, aged 9, who settled in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1903
- Mary F. Kibbe, aged 38, who immigrated to St. John's, Newfoundland in 1903
Contemporary Notables of the name Kibbe (post 1700)
- Dr. Alice L. Kibbe (1881-1969), American botanist, Professor and Chair of Biology at Carthage College in Carthage, Illinois (1920 to 1926)
- William Chauncey Kibbe (1822-1904), American pioneer, third Adjutant General of California
- Matthew B. 'Matt' Kibbe, American President and CEO of FreedomWorks
- J. E. Kibbe, American politician, Mayor of Abbeville, Louisiana, 1954 
- George F. Kibbe, American politician, First Selectman of Tolland, Connecticut, 1896-97 
- Frederick A. Kibbe, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Florida 6th District, 1962 
- Charles R. Kibbe, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Somers, 1906, 1918 
- Aretus F. Kibbe, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Somers; Elected 1902 
- Amariah Kibbe Jr., American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Somers, 1820-24, 1827 
- Allerton C. Kibbe, American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Ellington; Elected 1902; Defeated, 1906 
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html