Kemper History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancient name of Kemper finds its origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It comes from a name for a comber of wool or flax.
Early Origins of the Kemper family
The surname Kemper was first found in Cambridgeshire, where they held a family seat from early times.
Early History of the Kemper family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kemper research. Another 55 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1379, 1684, 1627 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Kemper History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kemper Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Kemper family name include Kemper, Kempster, Kemster and others.
Early Notables of the Kemper family (pre 1700)
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kemper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Kemper is the 3,795th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name.  However, in Netherlands, the name Kemper is ranked the 683rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,726 people with that name. 
Kemper migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Kemper surname or a spelling variation of the name include :
Kemper Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Daniel Kemper, who sailed to Boston in 1651
- Danell Kemper, who arrived in America in 1652 
- Fanell Kemper, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1652 
Kemper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Kemper, who landed in Virginia in 1714 
- Jacob Kemper, who landed in New Jersey in 1751 
- John Kemper, who arrived in New Jersey in 1755 
- John Kemper, who settled in New Jersey in 1755
- Johannes Kemper, who landed in New York, NY in 1782 
Kemper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johanne Kemper, who arrived at Baltimore, Maryland on August 19, 1868 aboard the "Berlin Of Bremen"
- Gert Kemper, who arrived in America in 1836 
- Elis Kemper, who landed in America in 1844 
- Christ Kemper, who landed in America in 1844 
- Heinr Kemper, who landed in America in 1846 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kemper (post 1700) +
- James Scott Kemper (1886-1981), American insurance company founder and billionaire, founder of the Kemper Corporation
- Alexander Sandy Kemper (b. 1965), American entrepreneur
- Jackson Kemper (1789-1870), American first missionary bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States in 1835, eponym of Kemper Hall, Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Hunter Craig Kemper (b. 1976), American two-time gold and silver medalist triathlete
- Frederick T. Kemper (1816-1881), American founder of Kemper Military School in Boonville, Missouri
- Elizabeth Claire "Ellie" Kemper (b. 1980), American actress, comedian, and writer
- Dwight Kemper (b. 1958), American mystery writer
- David Kemper, American television writer and producer, best known for his science fiction/fantasy show Farscape
- David Law Kemper (b. 1947), American rock drummer
- Thomas Kemper, American brewer of root beer, ginger ale, and other sodas under the Thomas Kemper Soda Co, founded in 1990
- ... (Another 8 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)