on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Kelleher family come from? What is the Irish Kelleher family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kelleher family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kelleher family history?Irish surnames are linked to the long Gaelic heritage of the Island nation. The original Gaelic form of the name Kelleher is "O Ceileachair," which means "companion dear."
Lacking standardized spellings, scribes and church officials recorded people's name according to how they sounded. This practice often led to the misleading result of one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations of the surname Kelleher are preserved in the archival documents of the period. The various spellings of the name that were found include Kelleher, O'Kelleher, Kellehar, Kellegher and others.
First found in County Clare (Irish: An Clįr) located on the west coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kelleher research. Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 101 and 1014 are included under the topic Early Kelleher History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kelleher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many Irish families boarded ships bound for North America in the middle of 19th century to escape the conditions of poverty and racial discrimination at that time. Although these immigrants often arrived in a destitute state, they went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. An inquiry into many immigration and passenger lists has revealed many early immigrants to North America bearing the Kelleher family name:
Kelleher Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Honoria, James, Joanna, John, and Mary Kelleher all settled in Boston in 1848
- Dan Kelleher, aged 29, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- Daniel Kelleher, aged 69, landed in New York, NY in 1849
- John Kelleher, aged 36, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- Kitty Kelleher, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1849
Kelleher Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jeremiah Kelleher, aged 25, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Charity" from Kinsale
- Catherine Kelleher, aged 25, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Charity" from Kinsale
- David Kelleher, aged 18, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Levant Star" from Cork
- Cornelius Kelleher, aged 28, a carpenter, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Levant Star" from Cork
- Mary Kelleher, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1837 aboard the barque "Robert Watt" from Cork
Kelleher Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Kelleher, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Stamboul"
Kelleher Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Kelleher, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1876
- Catherine Kelleher, aged 23, a domestic servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Apelles" in 1878
- Robert Joseph Kelleher (1913-2012), American tennis player and official, inductee into the International Tennis Hall of Fame (2000)
- Frank H. Kelleher, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1964
- F. Michael Kelleher Jr., American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 15th District, 2000
- Edward J. Kelleher, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Jersey 1st District, 1926
- Daniel Jerome Kelleher, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 7th District, 1909
- Carrie Kelleher, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 30th District, 1998
- Bob Kelleher, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Montana, 2002
- Helen Kelleher, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Iowa State House of Representatives from Madison County, 1950; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 10th District, 1954
- Herbert D. Kelleher, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1964
- James Kelleher (b. 1821), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1891
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
The Kelleher Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kelleher Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 December 2015 at 13:19.
on orders of $85 or more