Keiter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Keiter family
The surname Keiter was first found in Norfolk, where the name is generally thought to have been derived from a baptismal name as "the son of Kett." And whether that name represents a nickname of "Catherine" or Christopher," there is much confusion. Regardless of how the name was derived, the first record of the name was William Kett who was listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of Norfolk in 1273. 
Early History of the Keiter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Keiter research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1476, 1455, 1487, 1808, 1st , 1633, 1700, 1666, 1661, 1705, 1696 and 1744 are included under the topic Early Keiter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Keiter Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Keiter has undergone many spelling variations, including Keate, Keete, Keyte, Keite, Keat, Keet, Keats and many more.
Early Notables of the Keiter family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Keiter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Keiter migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Keiter were among those contributors:
Keiter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joachim Petersen Keiter, who arrived in New York, NY in 1637 
Keiter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernhard Keiter, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1872 
Contemporary Notables of the name Keiter (post 1700) +
- E. Y. Keiter (1874-1959), American Republican politician, Minister; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 2nd District, 1922 
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html