Jolls History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Jolls family
The surname Jolls was first found in Languedoc, where this impressive family has held a family seat since early times.
Early History of the Jolls family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jolls research. Another 319 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1534, 1554, 1620, 1645, 1743, 1789, 1800, 1645, 1700, 1637, 1637 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Jolls History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jolls Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Joly, Joli, Jolis, Jolly, Jolie, Jollie, Jolley, Joley, Jouly, Jouli, De Joly, De Joli, De Jolly, De Jolie, De Jollie, De Jolley, De Joley, De Jouley and many more.
Early Notables of the Jolls family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name at this time was Joseph-Louis de Joly, Captain, Knight and Admiral of France; Louis (Joliet) Jolliet (1645-1700), Canadian explorer born in Quebec, he discovered the Mississippi River in 1637 and traveled down the Mississippi to within 435...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jolls Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jolls migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Jolls Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr. Benjamin Jolls, (b. 1862), aged 16, Cornish gardener departing on 25th July 1878 aboard the ship "City of Auckland" going to Hawkes Bay, New Zealand arriving in port on 22nd October 1878 
Contemporary Notables of the name Jolls (post 1700) +
- Christine Jolls (b. 1967), American Gordon Bradford Tweedy Professor of Law and Organization at Yale Law School
- Dr. Willard B. Jolls (b. 1963), American owner of the home located at Orchard Park in Erie County, New York, known as the Johnson-Jolls Complex, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980
- Tom Jolls (b. 1933), American retired television personality from Newfane, New York, best known for his 34-year tenure at WKBW-TV in Buffalo, New York
- Ebenezer Jolls Ormsbee (1834-1924), American teacher, lawyer, and politician, 41st Governor of Vermont (1886-1888), 34th Lieutenant Governor of Vermont (1884-1886), Member of the Vermont State Senate (1878-1879)
Related Stories +