Jefcoat History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Anglo-Saxon surname Jefcoat came from the baptismal name for the son of Geoffrey. 
Early Origins of the Jefcoat family
The surname Jefcoat was first found in Worcestershire where Geoffrey Geffcoke was registered in the Subsidy Rolls of 1327. A few years later, William Gefcok was found in the Subsidy Rolls for Staffordshire in 1332 and again, in Staffordshire, Emota Jeffecockes was registered there in the Subsidy Rolls for 1380. 
Early History of the Jefcoat family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jefcoat research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1616 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Jefcoat History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jefcoat Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Jefcoat family name include Jefcott, Jeffcott, Jefcote, Jeffcoat, Jefcock and many more.
Early Notables of the Jefcoat family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Jefcoat Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Jefcoat is the 12,601st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Jefcoat family
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Jefcoat surname or a spelling variation of the name include: Henry Jeffcoat and his wife Rebecca and three children arrived in New York in 1820; E. Jefcott arrived in New York in 1852.
|Contemporary Notables of the name Jefcoat (post 1700) ||+|
- I Atly Jefcoat, American researcher with the Department of Chemical Engineering, Mississippi State University, Mississippi
- Brady C. Jefcoat, American plumber, electrician and general contractor from Raleigh, North Carolina, whose collection of artifacts are kept in The Brady C. Jefcoat Museum of Americana, a museum in Murfreesboro, North Carolina
- Willis Franklin Jefcoat (1908-2001), Canadian politician who served in the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia from 1960 to 1972
- Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/