Irion History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The vast movement of people that followed the Norman Conquest of England of 1066 brought the Irion family name to the British Isles. They lived in Norfolk. Their name, however, derives from their place of residence prior to the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, Airaines, in Somme, France.
Early Origins of the Irion family
The surname Irion was first found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Irion family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Irion research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1548 is included under the topic Early Irion History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Irion Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Irons, Kenirons, Hirons, Iron and others.
Early Notables of the Irion family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Irion Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Irion family to Ireland
Some of the Irion family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Irion migration to the United States +
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Irion or a variant listed above:
Irion Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Irion, who arrived in America in 1780 
Irion Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Anderson Irion, aged 30, who landed in Texas in 1834 
Contemporary Notables of the name Irion (post 1700) +
- Robert Anderson Irion (1804-1861), American physician, surveyor and politician, Secretary of State of Texas, eponym of Irion County, Texas
- Johnny Irion (b. 1969), American country rock musician, singer-songwriter; he and Sarah Lee Guthrie perform has performed as a duo since 2000
- Alfred Briggs Irion (1833-1903), American politician, United States Representative from Louisiana's 6th congressional district (1885-1887)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)