on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
There are many Irish surnames being used today in forms that are quite different than their original, ancient forms. Hyland originally appeared in Gaelic as O hUallachain, which is derived from the word "uallach," which means "proud."
The surname Hyland was first found in Thomond
(Irish: Tuadh Mumhan), literally North Thomond
, the pre-Norman Kingdom of Thomond, since divided between counties Limerick
and Clare, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Hyland family name. Variations found include Holohan, O'Holohan, Mulholland, Highland, Hoolohan, Houlihan, Hooligan, Whelton, Oulihan, Oulahen, Whoolahan and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hyland research. Another 409 words (29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hyland History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Hyland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Hyland:
Hyland Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Hyland, aged 29, arrived in Maryland in 1684
Hyland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Hyland, who landed in New York in 1825
- William Hyland, who arrived in New York in 1825
- Michael Hyland, who landed in Mississippi in 1837
- Thomas Hyland, aged 30, landed in New York in 1854
- John Hyland, aged 17, landed in New York in 1854
Hyland Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael Hyland, who arrived in Canada in 1812
Hyland Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Hyland, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Jane Hyland, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Mathew Hyland, aged 51, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sultana"
- James Hyland, aged 20, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Navarino"
- Philip Hyland, aged 42, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "General Hewett"
Hyland Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Hyland, aged 18, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Osborne" in 1867
- Robert Joseph "Bob" Hyland (b. 1945), former American NFL football guard
- John Joseph Hyland Jr (1912-1998), American admiral in the United States Navy, Commmander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet from 1967-1970
- Sarah Jane Hyland (b. 1990), American actress, best known for her role as Haley Dunphy on the ABC sitcom Modern Family
- Richard Frank Hyland (1900-1981), American gold medalist rugby union player at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Packy Hyland Jr., American founder of Hyland Software Inc in 1911, now with over 1,400 employees worldwide
- Lawrence A. "Pat" Hyland (1897-1989), American electrical engineer, one of several people credited with major contributions to the invention of radar
- Diana Hyland (1936-1977), American actress best known for her television appearances
- Brian Hyland (b. 1943), American pop recording artist
- George Hyland, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Livingston County 2nd District, 1861
- Ezra Hyland, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 28th District, 1910
- Master Thomas O'Brien Hyland (1911-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mrs. Margaret Hyland (1886-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mr. William Hyland (1900-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mr. Leo James Hyland, aged 19, English Steward from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking by escaping in life boat 11
- The Hyland Family History by Lloyd Ernest Hyland.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
The Hyland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hyland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 December 2015 at 11:18.
on orders of $85 or more