Hurlburt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The history of the name Hurlburt goes back those Anglo-Saxon tribes that once ruled over Britain. Such a name was given to a person who was noted for playing a game in which short bats were thrown. A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character.
Early Origins of the Hurlburt family
The surname Hurlburt was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Early History of the Hurlburt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hurlburt research. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hurlburt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hurlburt Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Hurlburt family name include Hurlbatt, Hurlbat, Hurlbutt, Hurlbut, Hurlbert, Hurlburt, Hurlebat, Hurlebut, Hurlebert and many more.
Early Notables of the Hurlburt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hurlburt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hurlburt migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Investigation of the origins of family names on the North American continent has revealed that early immigrants bearing the name Hurlburt or a variant listed above:
Hurlburt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Hurlburt to Connecticut in 1635
- Thomas Hurlburt, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1635 
Hurlburt migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hurlburt Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Moses Hurlburt U.E., "Halabert, Hurlbert, Hurlbut, Harlbert, Hulbert" born in Woodbury, Connecticut, USA from Arlington, Vermont, USA who settled in Augusta, Ontario c. 1784 he enlisted in 1777 and served in General Burgoyne's Army and Roger's Rangers he died in 1816 in Grenville County, Ontario, married with 5 children 
Hurlburt Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Hurlburt, who arrived in Canada in 1830
- Daniel Hurlburt, who arrived in Canada in 1836
- Silas Hurlburt, who landed in Canada in 1841
Contemporary Notables of the name Hurlburt (post 1700) +
- Frank D. Hurlburt, American fighter pilot and flying ace in the U.S. Army Air Forces, during World War II, credited with 9 aerial victories
- William B. Hurlburt, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Washington, 1910, 1912 
- W. A. Hurlburt, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Virginia 5th District, 1992 
- Newton R. Hurlburt, American politician, First Selectman of New Britain, Connecticut, 1899-1904 
- Jesse L. Hurlburt, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1912 
- B. G. Hurlburt, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 27th District, 1873-75 
- Alvah Hurlburt, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Tompkins County 1st District, 1852 
- Albert S. Hurlburt, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Somers; Elected 1926 
- Kenneth Earl Hurlburt (b. 1928), Canadian politician, former Canadian Member of Parliament from Lethbridge Alberta
- Robert George Hurlburt (b. 1950), Canadian retired professional NHL ice hockey left winger from Toronto, Ontario
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html