The surname Hughy originally appeared in Gaelic as "O hEochaidh" or "Mac Eochaidh," derived from an Irish personal name
"Eachaidh," meaning a "horseman."
Early Origins of the Hughy family
The surname Hughy was first found in Tipperary
(Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times at Ballymackeogh, and were descended from the MacKeoghs who in turn were descended from their eponymous ancestor Eochaidh O'Kelly one of the ancient Kings of Ui Maine.
Early History of the Hughy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hughy research.Another 273 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1534, 1653, 1725, 1798, 1828, 1893, 1534, 1653, 1725 and 1798 are included under the topic Early Hughy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hughy Spelling Variations
People who were accounted for by scribes and church officials often had their name recorded many different ways because pronunciation was the only guide those scribes and church officials had to go by. This resulted in the problem of one person's name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations
of the surname Hughy that are preserved in archival documents are Hoey, O'Hoey, Hoy, Hue, Kehoe, Keogh, MacKeogh and many more.
Early Notables of the Hughy family (pre 1700)
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hughy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hughy family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hughy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael Hughy, aged 16, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Hugh Hughy, aged 18, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Rosy Hughy, aged 22, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834