Horney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Gaelic name used by the Horney family in ancient Ireland was O hAthairne, which is possibly derived from the word athardha, which means paternal. 
Early Origins of the Horney family
The surname Horney was first found in Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Early History of the Horney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Horney research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Horney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Horney Spelling Variations
The search for the origins of the name Horney family name revealed numerous spelling variations. These variants can be somewhat accounted for when it is realized that before widespread literacy people only recognized their name by pronunciation; it was up to scribes to decide how it was to be formally recorded. Variations found include Harney, Hartney, O'Harney, Hartney, Harnedy, Harnet, Harnett, Hartnet, Hartnett, Haherny and many more.
Early Notables of the Horney family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Horney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Horney migration to the United States +
The 18th century saw the slow yet steady emigration of Irish families to British North America and the United States. Those early Irish settlers that left their homeland were typically moderately well off: they were enticed by the promise of a sizable plot of land. However, by the 1840s, this pattern of immigration was gone: immigrants to North America were seeking refuge from the starvation and disease that the Great Potato Famine of that decade brought. The great numbers of Irish that arrived to the United States and the soon to be Canada were instrumental in their quick development as powerful industrial nations. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists uncovered many early immigrants bearing the name Horney:
Horney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen Horney, aged 33, who arrived in America, in 1892
- Nellie Horney, aged 6, who arrived in America, in 1892
- William Horney, aged 34, who arrived in America, in 1892
- Daniel Horney, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1895
Horney Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Oskar L Horney, aged 16, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Frank Horney, aged 41, who arrived in America, in 1913
- T.J. Horney, who arrived in America, in 1914
- Kenneth G. Horney, who arrived in America, in 1919
- M. Horney, aged 23, who arrived in America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Horney (post 1700) +
- Karen Horney (1885-1952), née Danielsen, a German-born, American psychoanalyst who questioned some traditional Freudian views
- Brigitte Horney (1911-1988), German theatre and film actress, known for her role as Empress Katherine the Great in Baron Munchhausen (1943)
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print