on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
In ancient Anglo-Saxon England
, the ancestors of the Hinton surname lived in the parish of Hinton in the diocese of Salisbury, Winchester, Oxford, Peterborough, Bath and Wells.
The surname Hinton was first found in Cumberland
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Hinton are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Hinton include: Hinton, Hynton, Hintone and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinton research. Another 269 words (19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hinton History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Hinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North Ameri ca.
Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Hinton or a variant listed above:
Hinton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth, Elias, Joane, John Hinton all settled in Virginia in 1623
- Elizabeth Hinton, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Ellias Hinton, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- Joane Hinton, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- John Hinton, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
Hinton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Hinton, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- William Hinton, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1717-1718
- Adam Hinton, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1747
- James Hinton settled in Maryland in 1774
- Timothy and William Hinton settled in New England in 1774
Hinton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Hinton, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- David Hinton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Hinton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Hinton, English convict from Shropshire, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Edward Hinton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Tory" in 1851
- Eliza Hinton, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Warren Hastings"
- Thomas Hinton, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Ramillies"
Hinton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Hinton, aged 49, a tailor, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Maria Hinton, aged 47, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Maria Hinton, aged 9, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Violet Hinton, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 24th District, 1998
- S. F. Hinton, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Alabama, 1914
- R. W. Hinton Jr., American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1924
- Linda L. Hinton, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1996
- John T. Hinton, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1912
- James Sidney Hinton (1834-1892), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1872; Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1881
- Gregory T. Hinton, American politician, Mayor of Fairmont, West Virginia, 1983
- E. J. Hinton, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Georgia, 1908
- Deane Roesch Hinton (b. 1923), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Zaire, 1974-75; El Salvador, 1981; Pakistan, 1983-86; Costa Rica, 1987-90; Panama, 1990-94
- Carl Hinton, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Hinton, West Virginia, 1934-55
- Mr. Stephen William Hinton (d. 1912), aged 30, English Trimmer from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- The Hintons of Nash and Johnston Counties, North Carolina by Judith Garner Hinton.
- Hintan and Related Family History by George Washington Hinton.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Hinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 13:14.
on orders of $85 or more