on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancient Anglo-Saxon
surname Higgs came from Richard which had several diminutive forms in the Middle Ages, including Dick, Rick, Hick, and Hegge. The name was introduced into England
by the Normans
after the Norman Conquest
The surname Higgs was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Higgs family name include Higgs, Higges, Higg, Higge and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Higgs research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1589, 1659 and 1638 are included under the topic Early Higgs History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Higgs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Higgs surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Higgs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John and Rachel Higgs settled in Virginia in 1654
- Thomas and Anne Higgs settled in Nevis in 1663
- Henry Higgs, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- John Higgs, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1693
- Frans Higgs, who landed in Virginia in 1699
Higgs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Higgs settled in Charles Town in 1718
- William Higgs settled in New England in 1769
Higgs Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Millicent Higgs arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- Francis Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839
- Jane Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839
- Jonathan Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
- Sarah Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
Higgs Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Higgs, aged 28, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Ann Higgs, aged 26, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Sarah A. Higgs, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- James Higgs, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Henry Higgs, aged 3 months, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Robert Higgs (b. 1944), American economic historian and economist
- Rufus F. Higgs, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1952
- Roxye Ann Higgs, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1948
- Roxann Higgs, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 15th District, 1956; Prohibition Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1956, 1960
- Milton Eugene Higgs (b. 1925), American Republican politician, Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from Bay County, 1961-62
- L. Randolph Higgs, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Helsingfors, 1938; U.S. Consul in Stockholm, 1947
- Henry S. Higgs, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Dunmore Town, 1884
- F. Norman Higgs, American politician, Candidate in primary for Circuit Judge in Michigan 18th Circuit, 1953
- Ben Higgs, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Arizona, 2008
- Alfred C. Higgs, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Weymouth, 1898-1902
- The Higgs Family: Maryland to Missouri by Betty Higgs Bridges.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Higgs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Higgs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 June 2016 at 16:56.
on orders of $85 or more