on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Higgs family come from? What is the English Higgs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Higgs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Higgs family history?The ancient Anglo-Saxon surname Higgs came from Richard which had several diminutive forms in the Middle Ages, including Dick, Rick, Hick, and Hegge. The name was introduced into England by the Normans after the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Higgs family name include Higgs, Higges, Higg, Higge and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Higgs research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1589, 1659 and 1638 are included under the topic Early Higgs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Higgs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Higgs surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Higgs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John and Rachel Higgs settled in Virginia in 1654
- Thomas and Anne Higgs settled in Nevis in 1663
- Henry Higgs, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- John Higgs, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1693
- Frans Higgs, who landed in Virginia in 1699
Higgs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Higgs settled in Charles Town in 1718
- William Higgs settled in New England in 1769
Higgs Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Millicent Higgs arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- Francis Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839
- Jane Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839
- Jonathan Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
- Sarah Higgs arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
Higgs Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Higgs, aged 28, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Ann Higgs, aged 26, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Sarah A. Higgs, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- James Higgs, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Henry Higgs, aged 3 months, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Edward P Bouverie" in 1873
- Robert Higgs (b. 1944), American economic historian and economist
- Peter Ware Higgs FRS, FRSE, FKC (b. 1929), English theoretical physicist, emeritus professor at the University of Edinburgh and co-winner of the 2004 Wolf Prize in Physics, eponym of the Higgs mechanism and the Higgs boson, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2013
- Sir Derek Alan Higgs (1944-2008), English businessman and merchant banker
- Eric Sidney Higgs (1908-1976), English archaeologist
- Kenneth "Ken" Higgs (b. 1937), English fast-medium bowler
- Shane Peter Higgs (b. 1977), English footballer
- Rt. Rev. Hubert Higgs, Bishop of Hull
- Joseph Benjamin "Joe" Higgs (1940-1999), Jamaican reggae musician
- Rebekah Higgs (b. 1982), Canadian indie rock singer
- Ray Higgs, retired Australian rugby league footballer
- The Higgs Family: Maryland to Missouri by Betty Higgs Bridges.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Higgs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Higgs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2014 at 16:44.
on orders of $85 or more