An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Welsh Hewes family come from? What is the Welsh Hewes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hewes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hewes family history?The ancestors of the bearers of the Hewes surname were Welsh Brythonic- Celts. However, their name came to Britain with the Norman invasion; Hewes is derived from the Old French personal name Hughe, also spelled Hue. This name was made popular by the exploits of several saints including: St. Hugh of Lincoln (1140-1200), who was born in Burgundy, France and established the first Carthusian monastery in England; as well as St. Hugh of Cluny (1024-1109).
Although there are comparatively few Welsh surnames, they have a great many spelling variations. Variations of Welsh names began almost immediately after their acceptance within Welsh society. In the Middle Ages, it was up to priests and the few other people that recorded names in official documents to decide how to spell the names that they heard. Variations that occurred because of improper recording increased dramatically as the names were later transliterated into English. The Brythonic Celtic language of Wales, known by natives as Cymraeg, featured many highly inflected sounds that could not be properly captured by the English language. Spelling variations were, however, also carried out according to an individual's design: a branch loyalty within the family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations were all indicated by the particular variation of one's name. The spelling variations of the name Hewes have included Hughes, Hugh, Hews, Hughs, Hues, Huse and others.
First found in Carmarthenshire (Welsh: Sir Gaerfyrddin), located in Southwest Wales, one of thirteen historic counties and presently one of the principal area in Wales, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hewes research. Another 211 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1038, 1553, 1632, 1603, 1667, 1604, 1664, 1654, 1659, 1645, 1719, 1677 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Hewes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 187 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hewes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hewes family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many people from Wales joined the general migration to North America in the 19th and 20th centuries, searching for land, work, and freedom. Like the many other immigrants from the British Isles, they made a significant contribution to the development of Canada and the United States. The Welsh and their descendents added a rich cultural tradition to the newly developed towns, cities, and villages. An investigation of the immigration and passenger lists has revealed a number of people bearing the name Hewes:
Hewes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Kymmer-yn Lydeirnon
Motto Translation: Name of the lordship of the family.
The Hewes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hewes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 August 2015 at 11:25.