Herrold History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Herrold family
The surname Herrold was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute.
The name in Anglo Saxon, signifies "The love of the army," From Har, an army, and hold, love.  Hence the name is often referred to as "powerful warrior." 
Further to the south in England, the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 listed: Agnes Harald, Oxfordshire; John Harald, Wiltshire; Reginald Haralt, Oxfordshire; and Roger Harold, Buckinghamshire. 
Later the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls included: Robertus Harald; and Stephen Harald as holding lands there at that time. 
Early History of the Herrold family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herrold research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1685, 1566, 1626 and 1566 are included under the topic Early Herrold History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrold Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
Early Notables of the Herrold family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Francis Harold, O.F.M. (died 1685), an Irish Franciscan and historical writer. He was a native of Limerick, and member of the Franciscan order, to which his uncle, Luke Wadding, was the historiographer. Harold...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herrold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Herrold family to Ireland
Some of the Herrold family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Herrold family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Patrick, Paul, and William Harold who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1800 and 1860.
Contemporary Notables of the name Herrold (post 1700) +
- William G. Herrold, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Snyder County, 1869-72 
- Phil Herrold, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 11th District, 1974 
- Levi S. Herrold, American politician, Mayor of Akron, Ohio, 1875-76 
- John C. Herrold, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Indiana, 1972 
Related Stories +
- ^ Arthur, William , An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names. London: 1857. Print
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html