Herrod History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Herrod family
The surname Herrod was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute.
The name in Anglo Saxon, signifies "The love of the army," From Har, an army, and hold, love.  Hence the name is often referred to as "powerful warrior." 
Further to the south in England, the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 listed: Agnes Harald, Oxfordshire; John Harald, Wiltshire; Reginald Haralt, Oxfordshire; and Roger Harold, Buckinghamshire. 
Later the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls included: Robertus Harald; and Stephen Harald as holding lands there at that time. 
Early History of the Herrod family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herrod research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1685, 1566, 1626 and 1566 are included under the topic Early Herrod History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrod Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
Early Notables of the Herrod family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Francis Harold, O.F.M. (died 1685), an Irish Franciscan and historical writer. He was a native of Limerick, and member of the Franciscan order, to which his uncle, Luke Wadding, was the historiographer. Harold...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herrod Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Herrod is the 9,959th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Herrod family to Ireland
Some of the Herrod family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrod migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herrod Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Reuben Herrod, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
- Thomas Herrod, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Herrod (post 1700) +
- Christopher N. Herrod (b. 1965), American real estate developer and politician, Member of the Utah House of Representatives (2007-)
- Jeff Sylvester Herrod (b. 1966), former American NFL football linebacker who played from 1988 to 1998
- Darryl Herrod (b. 1945), former Australian rules footballer who played from 1966 to 1971
- Edwin Robert "Bob" Herrod (1866-1918), English footballer who played from 1890 to 1891
Historic Events for the Herrod family +
Related Stories +
- ^ Arthur, William , An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names. London: 1857. Print
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ HMAS Sydney II, Finding Sydney Foundation - Roll of Honour. (Retrieved 2014, April 24) . Retrieved from http://www.findingsydney.com/roll.asp