Herod History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Herod family
The surname Herod was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Herod family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herod research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 168 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Herod History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herod Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
Early Notables of the Herod family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Herod Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Herod family to Ireland
Some of the Herod family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herod migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herod Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- L Herod, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1860 
- William Herod, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860 
Contemporary Notables of the name Herod (post 1700)
- William Wirt Herod (1835-1906), American politician, Candidate for Indiana State Senate, 1866; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana, 1872; Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1879; Candidate for Mayor of Indianapolis, Indiana, 1891 
- William Herod (1801-1871), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1829-31, 1844-45; Member of Indiana State Senate, 1831-33, 1848-51; U.S. Representative from Indiana 6th District, 1837-39; Presidential Elector for Indiana, 1840 
- C. W. Herod, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1916 
- Captain Gary L. Herod DFC (1929-1961), Texas Air National Guard pilot who after engine failure, remained with the plane to ensure that it did not crash into the suburban homes of Houston neighborhoods
- William Herod (1801-1871), American Congressional Representative from Indiana
- Dennis Herod (1923-2009), English former footballer
- Colonel Donald Herod Peterson (1923-2018), United States Air Force officer and a former NASA astronaut with over 5 days in space 
Historic Events for the Herod family
- Mr. Maurice H E Herod (b. 1906), English Bandmaster serving for the Royal Marine Band from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England, who sailed into battle and died in the sinking 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ NASA Astronauts Homepage. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Donald Peterson. Retrieved from http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/peterson-dh.html
- ^ H.M.S. Hood Association-Battle Cruiser Hood: Crew Information - H.M.S. Hood Rolls of Honour, Men Lost in the Sinking of H.M.S. Hood, 24th May 1941. (Retrieved 2016, July 15) . Retrieved from http://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/roh_24may41.htm