on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Herald was first found in Argyllshire
(Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland
corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland
, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herald research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 168 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Herald History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herald Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Herald family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 39 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herald Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Earah Herald, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Yarah Christaf Herald, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- John Herald (1939-2005), American folk and bluegrass songwriter, solo and studio musician
- Rob Herald, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 97th District, 1992
- Mernie Herald, American politician, American Labor Candidate for New York State Senate 48th District, 1946
- William Herald (b. 1897), Australian Olympic freestyle swimmer
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Herald Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herald Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 January 2016 at 13:17.
on orders of $85 or more