on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Henson has a rich and ancient history. It is an Anglo-Saxon
name that was originally derived from the baptismal name for the son of Hans.
As the naming tradition grew in Europe baptismal names began to be introduced in many countries. Baptismal names were sometimes given in honor of Christian saints and other biblical figures. There are very few Christian countries in Europe that did not adopt surnames from these religious figures.
The surname Henson was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Henson include Hanson, Hansom and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Henson research. Another 300 words (21 lines of text) covering the year 1675 is included under the topic Early Henson History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Henson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Henson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Phillipp Henson, aged 21, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Rich Henson, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- John Henson, who landed in Maryland in 1661
- Robert Henson, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Henson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Phillip Henson, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
Henson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Henson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Elizabeth Henson, aged 13, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- Emma Henson, aged 5, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- Haddon Henson, aged 2, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Mary Henson, aged 19, landed in New York, NY in 1852
Henson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Henson, English convict from Northampton, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- William Henson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Mariner" in 1847
- John Henson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Abberton" in 1849
Henson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Emma Henson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Phoenix" in 1860
- Gustave Henson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Claramont" in 1863
- Charles Henson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hasquina" in 1870
- Susannah Henson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hasquina" in 1870
- Amelia Henson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hasquina" in 1870
- John Paul Henson (1965-2014), American puppeteer best known for his association with The Muppets, son of Jim Henson
- Jane Henson (1934-2013), American puppeteer, wife of puppeteer Jim Henson
- Denver C. Henson, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 1944; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Arizona at-large, 1946
- Debra Henson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 2004
- David Henson, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Casselberry, Florida, 2004
- Burton G. Henson, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1932
- Burt M. Henson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1964
- A. L. Henson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1948
- Francis Henson, American Democrat politician, Member of Wisconsin Democratic State Central Committee, 1954
- George Henson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1956
- A Henson Family History in Early America and Their Revolutionary War Soldiers, 1725-18500 by A.L. Henson.
- The Story of Philip G. Henson of Wayne County, Illinois by Beulah Reed May.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Henson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Henson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 June 2016 at 19:36.
on orders of $85 or more