on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hendrix family come from? What is the English Hendrix family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hendrix family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hendrix family history?In ancient Scotland, the ancestors of the Hendrix family were part of a tribe called the Picts. The name Hendrix is derived from the personal name Henry.
The appearance of the printing press and the first dictionaries in the last few hundred years did much to standardize spelling. Prior to that time scribes spelled according to sound, a practice that resulted in many spelling variations. Hendrix has been spelled Henricks, Hendrick, Hendricks, Hendrix, Hendryx and others.
First found in Staffordshire where Hendricus was listed in The Kalendar of Abbot Samson of Bury St Edmunds in 1188. A few years later Hendricus Prid was listed in Yorkshire in 1212. In Essex early records revealed Alice as daughter of Henry de Sanford who bore the seal of S. Alis. Filia Hendrici in the 13th century.  The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 lists: John Hendrich in Cambridgeshire; and William Heneriche in Oxfordshire. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hendrix research. Another 180 words (13 lines of text) covering the year 1600 is included under the topic Early Hendrix History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hendrix Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hendrix family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The expense of the crossing to the North American colonies seemed small beside the difficulties of remaining in Scotland. It was a long and hard trip, but at its end lay the reward of freedom. Some Scots remained faithful to England and called themselves United Empire Loyalists, while others fought in the American War of Independence. Much of this lost Scottish heritage has been recovered in the last century through Clan societies and other patriotic Scottish organizations. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important, early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Hendrix:
Hendrix Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anna Hendrix, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1640
- Harmen Hendrix, who arrived in New York, NY in 1660
- Jacob Hendrix, who landed in New York, NY in 1663
- Sarah Hendrix, aged 45, arrived in New York in 1684
- Garret Hendrix, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1685
Hendrix Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Wilbur F. Hendrix, who settled in America, in 1904
- EC Hendrix, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Caccilie Hendrix, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1907
- Clifford Hendrix, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- William Hendrix, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Walter C. Hendrix, American politician, Circuit Judge in Georgia Atlanta Circuit, 1953
- W. C. Hendrix, American Republican politician, Member of Iowa State House of Representatives from Muscatine County
- Thomas J. Hendrix, American Republican politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Davie County, 1915-16
- Rick Hendrix, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Carolina, 2008
- Olen Hendrix, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arkansas, 1960
- Penny Hendrix, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 55th District, 2010
- Kim Hendrix, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 2008
- Ken Hendrix, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 23rd District, 1986
- Joseph Clifford Hendrix (1853-1904), American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Brooklyn, New York, 1883; postmaster at Brooklyn, New York, 1886-90; U.S. Representative from New York 3rd District, 1893-95
- John A. Hendrix, American Republican politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Madison County, 1921-22
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Hendrix Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hendrix Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 November 2015 at 08:56.
on orders of $85 or more