Hehr History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Hehr family comes from the ancient Scottish Dalriadan clans of the mountainous west coast of Scotland. The name Hehr is derived from Ir. O'hlr means descendant of Ir.
Early Origins of the Hehr family
The surname Hehr was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Hehr family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hehr research. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1686, 1760, 1775, 1792, 1795, 1834, 1842, and 1855 are included under the topic Early Hehr History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hehr Spelling Variations
Spelling variations were extremely common in medieval names, since scribes from that era recorded names according to sound rather than a standard set of rules. Hehr has appeared in various documents spelled Hare, Hair, Hehir, Hehr, Heher and others.
Early Notables of the Hehr family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hehr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hehr family to Ireland
Some of the Hehr family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hehr migration to the United States
Dalriadan families proliferated in North America. Their descendants still populate many communities in the eastern parts of both the United States and Canada. Some settled in Canada as United Empire Loyalists, in the wake of the American War of Independence. Families on both sides of the border have recovered much of their heritage in the 20th century through Clan societies and highland games. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hehr or a variant listed above:
Hehr Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Rudolph Hehr, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763 
- Matthias Hehr, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1772 
Hehr Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Hehr, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1842 
- Johannes Hehr, aged 23, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hehr (post 1700)
- Kent Hehr, Canadian federal politician, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence (2015-)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)