Hees History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The old Gaelic name used by the Hees family in Ireland was O hAodha, which means descendant of Aodha or descendant of Hugh.
Early Origins of the Hees family
The surname Hees was first found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where this distinguished Irish family descended from the ancient Kings of Munster, and their territories were in the south western part of County Cork. Their ancient family seat was Aghamilly Castle in Pobble O'Hea.
Important Dates for the Hees family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hees research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1205, 1172 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Hees History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hees Spelling Variations
During the Middle Ages a name was spelt by scribes solely based on how it sounded, one's name could have been recorded many different ways during the life of its bearer. Numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Hees family name. Variations found include O'Hea, Hea, Heas, Hees, O'Hear, Hayes, O'Hay, Hay and others.
Early Notables of the Hees family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hees Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hees migration to the United States
Many Irish families boarded ships bound for North America in the middle of 19th century to escape the conditions of poverty and racial discrimination at that time. Although these immigrants often arrived in a destitute state, they went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. An inquiry into many immigration and passenger lists has revealed many early immigrants to North America bearing the Hees family name:
Hees Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henr Hees, who arrived in America in 1764-1798 
- Jobs Hees, who landed in America in 1764-1798 
- Johannes Hees, who arrived in America in 1767 
Hees Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Hees, who landed in America in 1854 
- Dirkje Van Hees, who arrived in Iowa in 1856 
- Lukas Van Hees, who arrived in Iowa in 1856 
- Neeltje Van Hees, who landed in Iowa in 1856 
- A Katharina Hees, who landed in America in 1856 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hees (post 1700)
- Jacob Hees, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Montgomery and Hamilton counties, 1818-20, 1837 
- J. Leslie Hees, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1912 
- Emmett D. Hees, American politician, Representative from New York 33rd District, 1908, 1910 
- George Harris Hees PC, OC (1910-1996), Canadian politician from Toronto
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html