100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Gaelic name used by the Hartnett family in ancient Ireland was O hAthairne, which is possibly derived from the word athardha, which means paternal.
Names written in official documents were generally spelt as they sounded, leading to the problem of one name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion in records of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname Hartnett that are preserved in documents of the family history are Harney, Hartney, O'Harney, Hartney, Harnedy, Harnet, Harnett, Hartnet, Hartnett, Haherny and many more.
First found in county Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hartnett research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hartnett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hartnett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The English-ruled Ireland of the late 18th and 19th centuries featured a rapidly increasing population and an agricultural-based economy. This combination proved to be disastrous in the 1840s after a couple of failed potato harvests. Thousands died of disease and starvation, and thousands more left the country, often bound for North America. Those that survived the journey to North America were put to work building the bridges, canals, roadways, and railways needed for the development of an industrial society. Those Irish, although often despised by those already established in North American cities and towns, played an instrumental role in making Canada and the United States the powerful and wealthy nations that they are today. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists has shown many immigrants bearing the name Hartnett:
Hartnett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bridget, Cornelius, Dennis, Ellen, John, Lawrence, Mary, Patrick and William Hartnett settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1849
- William Hartnett, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1860
- Edmond Hartnett, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
- Patrick Hartnett, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1887
- Ellie Hartnett, aged 20, who settled in America from Cork, in 1892
Hartnett Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bride Hartnett, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Newcastlewest, Ireland, in 1907
- Charles Hartnett, aged 26, who settled in America from Knocknogshill, Ireland, in 1907
- Denis Hartnett, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Newmarket, Ireland, in 1908
- Elizabeth Hartnett, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Killeagh, Ireland, in 1910
- Cornelius Hartnett, aged 18, who landed in America from Kenmare, Ireland, in 1911
Hartnett Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Margaret Hartnett, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1821
- John Hartnett, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Charlotte" from Cork
- Charles "Gabby" Hartnett (1900-1972), American Major League Baseball catcher and manager
- Josh Hartnett (b. 1978), American actor
- Thomas F. Hartnett (b. 1941), U.S. Representative from South Carolina
- Kevin Hartnett (b. 1984), Irish sports person
- Jimmy Hartnett, Irish former professional footballer
- Sonya Hartnett (b. 1938), Australian author
- Angela Hartnett MBE (b. 1968), British Chef
- Sir Laurence John Hartnett (1898-1986), Australian automotive engineer
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Hartnett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hartnett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 December 2015 at 19:22.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!