on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Harrelson family come from? What is the Scottish Harrelson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harrelson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harrelson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
First found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrelson research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 168 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Harrelson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrelson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Harrelson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 39 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrelson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W D Harrelson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Wallace C. Harrelson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Carolina, 1996
- William Louis Harrelson (b. 1913), American politician, Member of South Carolina State House of Representatives, 1941-42; Member of South Carolina State Senate from Marion County, 1953-56
- Thomas J. Harrelson, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from North Carolina 7th District, 1986
- Robert Harrelson, American Democrat politician, Member of New Mexico State Senate 16th District, 1937
- Maxcy Clarence Harrelson, American politician, Member of South Carolina State Senate from Marion County, 1925-32
- Lisa Harrelson, American Republican politician, Chair of Ouachita County Republican Party, 2003
- Leaun Harrelson (1918-1973), American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Oakland County 2nd District, 1949-54; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1952
- James Pershing Harrelson (1919-2003), American Democrat politician, Member of South Carolina State House of Representatives, 1957-60, 1991-94; Member of South Carolina State Senate, 1963-76
- F. Marion Harrelson, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Florida 12th District, 1964
- William H. Harrelson, the second head football coach at the Nevada State University
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
The Harrelson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harrelson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2015 at 13:05.
on orders of $85 or more