on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Harrelson family come from? What is the Scottish Harrelson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harrelson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harrelson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
First found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrelson research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 168 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Harrelson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrelson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Harrelson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 39 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrelson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W D Harrelson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Woodrow Tracy "Woody" Harrelson (b. 1961), two-time American Academy Award and seven-time Emmy Award nominated actor
- Derrel McKinley "Bud" Harrelson (b. 1944), American retired Major League Baseball shortstop
- Kenneth Smith Harrelson (b. 1941), American retired Major League Baseball first baseman and outfielder nicknamed "The Hawk"
- William "Bill" Charles Harrelson (b. 1945), American retired Major League Baseball player
- Brett V. Harrelson (b. 1963), American actor, brother of Woody Harrelson
- John William Harrelson (1885-1955), American educator, First Chancellor of North Carolina State University
- William H. Harrelson, the second head football coach at the Nevada State University
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Harrelson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harrelson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 December 2014 at 17:36.
on orders of $85 or more