on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Harrell family come from? What is the Scottish Harrell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harrell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harrell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harold, Harald, Harrell, Hirrell, Hurrell and others.
First found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrell research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 168 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Harrell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Harrell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 39 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Harrell, who arrived in Maryland in 1676
Harrell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joane Harrell, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Harrell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edward Harrell, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1845
- Jasper Harrell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Cassie Harrell, aged 23, who settled in America from Ballygawley, in 1897
Harrell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen Harrell, aged 24, who settled in America from Oldcastle, in 1901
- John C Harrell, aged 41, who emigrated to America from London, in 1904
- Charles Lydon Harrell, aged 21, who landed in America from Stanford Hill, in 1904
- Bryant Eugene Harrell, aged 23, who landed in America from Stanford Hill, in 1904
- David Harrell, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
Harrell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Sarah Harrell, aged 15, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Melbourne"
- Sergeant William George Harrell (1922-1964), American soldier, awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Christopher Mychal Harrell (b. 1983), American professional NFL football player
- Robert Todd Harrell (b. 1972), American musician
- James Nelson Harrell (1918-2000), American actor
- Costen Jordan Harrell (1885-1971), American bishop of The Methodist Church in the United States (1944)
- Lynn Harrell (b. 1944), American classical cellist
- Tom Harrell (b. 1946), American post-bop jazz trumpeter and arranger
- Under the Rainbow: The Harrells by Wanda Frazier Harrell.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Harrell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harrell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2015 at 10:06.
on orders of $85 or more