100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Harney family come from? What is the Irish Harney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harney family history?The Gaelic name used by the Harney family in ancient Ireland was O hAthairne, which is possibly derived from the word athardha, which means paternal.
Individual scribes in the Ireland during the Middle Ages would often record a person's name various ways. How the name was recorded depended on what that particular scribe believed the proper spelling for the name pronounced to him was. Spelling variations revealed in the search for the origin of the Harney family name include Harney, Hartney, O'Harney, Hartney, Harnedy, Harnet, Harnett, Hartnet, Hartnett, Haherny and many more.
First found in county Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harney research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Harney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In the late 18th century, Irish families began emigrating to North America in the search of a plot of land to call their own. This pattern of emigration grew steadily until the 1840s when the Great Potato Famine of the 1840s cause thousands of Irish to flee the death and disease that accompanied the disaster. Those that made it alive to the shores of the United States and British North America (later to become Canada) were, however, instrumental in the development of those two powerful nations. Many of these Irish immigrants proudly bore the name of Harney:
Harney Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Rkhard Harney, aged 38, landed in Virginia in 1635
Harney Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Harney settled in Maryland in 1772
- Thomas Harney, who arrived in America in 1798
Harney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rebecca Harney, aged 48, landed in Massachusetts in 1812
- Michael Harney settled in Boston in 1823
- Mathew, James, John, Thomas Harney, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1840
- Col. Harney, aged 40, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1840
- William Harney, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1840
Harney Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Harney, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1749
Harney Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Richard Harney, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1814
- James Harney from Waterford city was married in St. John's in 1814
- Michael Harney, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1823
- John Harney settled in Harbour Grace in 1824
- Elizabeth Harney, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1826
Harney Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Job Harney, aged 37, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Emma Harney, aged 25, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Caroline Harney, aged 16, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Emily Harney, aged 9, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Annie Harney, aged 7, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- William Selby Harney (1800-1889), American general, Revolutionary war patriot, eponym of Fort Harney, Oregon
- Benjamin Robertson "Ben" Harney (1872-1938), American songwriter, entertainer, and pioneer of ragtime music
- Ben Harney, American actor and dancer, active in his career 1972 to 1985
- Corinna Harney (b. 1972), American model and actress, known for Rat Race (2001), Vegas Vacation (1997) and Playboy: Jenny McCarthy, the Playboy Years (1997)
- George Edward Harney (1840-1924), American architect
- John Hopkins Harney (1806-1868), American politician and legislator from Kentucky
- John Milton Harney (1789-1825), American poet
- Paul Harney (b. 1929), American PGA professional golfer
- Susan Harney (b. 1946), American actress
- Michael Harney, American Screen Actors Guild Award winning actor, known for his work in Erin Brockovich (2000), Orange Is the New Black (2013) and Captivity (2007)
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
The Harney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2015 at 09:56.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!